Sunday, May 9, 2010

First Impressions

We made it to Chile alive! The plane ride wasn't too horrible: we got to watch Leap Year and episodes of 30 Rock & How I Met Your Mother! I tried speaking Spanish to the girl sitting next to me.. she didn't really understand me. Failure.
After getting to our hotel in Viña del Mar, I actually got to go for a run on the beach with a couple girls on the trip. We met our first stray dog whom we affectionately named Pepe. He was our running buddy the whole way!
Taking a shower after that was quite an experience. It was probably the coldest shower I've ever taken in my life, so either we were using the wrong handle for the water, or the hotel ran out of hot water a long time before.
Here's a picture of my roommates, Maddy & Meredith, in our home away from home for the next 2 weeks:

First meal actually on the ground in Chile was pizza. I would say I'm ashamed, but it was a weird pizza with some kind of "traditional" crust, so I felt enough culture to be ok with it. We had dinner with the whole group at La Margarita. Yummy stuff! The enchiladas were a lot less messy and greasy than ones I've always had in the US, which was a nice change. I've gotten a chance to speak Spanish more than I expected!
Tomorrow we're going to the university in Valparaíso to hear some lectures about Chilean culture, then we're going on a walking tour of the town, and we're ending the day with Reggaeton dance lessons! Should be interesting. Until then :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice commentary. More pics please! Glad to hear you're using your Spanish! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you? Aren't you supposed to be blogging daily?

    ReplyDelete